How to Make Starfish and Sand Dollar Denim Pillows
Living in Florida, I am always incorporating coastal and sea life themes into my home décor pieces AND I love to upcycle items like old blue jeans, so this tutorial how to make starfish and sand dollar denim pillows is a project that is perfectly “ME”!
Here’s What You Will Need:
- Kunin Eco-fi® Classicfelt™ 9” x 12” Craft Cuts – Cream and Sandstone (one of each)
- Starfish and Sand Dollar Patterns
- Beacon Adhesives Felt Glue
- Americana Acrylic Paint by DecoArt® in Sand and Sandstone
- Fairfield World Poly-Fil® Polyester Fiber Fill
- Expo International Natural Rope Trim – four sections 9″ each
- Pencil; Eraser; Permanent Marker; Scissors; Stabilo Aquarellable Pencil White; Paint Brush #2 Round; Ruler; Craft Knife and Self-Healing Mat; Scrap Paper (I used 8 ½” by 11 printer paper)
Here’s How To Make Starfish and Sand Dollar Denim Pillows
Measure the width of the bottom of the legs of your blue jeans with a ruler. I used old boot cut jeans, so they are 9” wide. Measure up 10” from the hem and mark with Aquarelleable White Pencil. Cut with scissors. Measure and cut four lengths of natural rope trim to the width of your jeans (mine are 9”) and set aside.
TIP: Secure ends of rope trim with liquid glue to prevent fraying.
Download, print and cut out Starfish and Sand Dollar patterns HERE or draw your own coastal themed images. Trace Starfish onto Kunin Eco-fi® Classicfelt™ Sandstone and Sand Dollar on to Kunin Eco-fi® Classicfelt™ Cream with a permanent marker. Cut out images with scissors.
TIP: When using a maker to measure on to felt, cut inside the lines so you end up with a clean finished product.
Using patterns as your guide, paint on details using Sandstone colored paint on Sand Dollar and Sand colored paint on Starfish. Outline the edges with paint to make your images really POP!
TIP: To create perfect dots, simply dip the eraser end of a pencil and/or handle end of a paintbrush in paint and pounce onto the surface.
Apply Felt Glue to the INSIDE top and bottom edges of the blue jeans hem. Carefully insert the natural rope trim. Push down gently to make sure that the glue is grabbing the fabrics, then secure thicker edges with clothespins until dry.
Fill both pillows with polyester fiber fill. Apply Felt Glue to the INSIDE top and bottom edges of the blue jeans hem. Carefully insert the natural rope trim. Push down gently to make sure that the glue is grabbing the fabrics, then secure thicker edges with clothespins until dry.
Here is a detailed shot of the painted felt images – LOVE!
NOW FOR THE FUN STUFF!
I am exited to share some other projects made by myself and some of my favorite people. Hop over to check out their darling ideas using Fairfield World and Kunin Felt products!
- Bunny Sock Gnome by Debra Quartermain
- Kindness Bunny by Laura Kelly Designs
- Starfish Pillow by Beth Watson
- Monster Tooth Fairy Pillow by Erin Reed
- Message Pillows by Laura Kelly Designs
- Tooth Fairy Pillow by Katie Berry
- Polar Bear Hoop Wreath by Beth Watson
- Carrot Beanbags by Laura Kelly Designs
- Patchwork Holiday Pillows by Laura Kelly Designs
- Snowflake Pillow by Beth Watson Designs
We have a contest for you to win a $50 gift card to Starbucks and a bunny craft kit too. Be sure to enter!
These pillows were also quick and easy to make in just an evening. Switch up the colors, sizes and shapes to place your own personalized creative spin on this Starfish and Sand Dollar Denim Pillow project – the possibilities are endless! And Mother’s Day is right around the corner!