I love turning Dollar Tree finds into stylish home decor for all the holidays, and Valentine's is one of my favorites. Today, I am sharing a Dollar Tree Buffalo Plaid Heart for my Valentine's Day Door. I experimented with several ways to paint the red buffalo plaid and am very pleased with the way it turned out. Scroll down and see my tips and tricks for this fun heart. I am excited to be sharing today as part of the Team Creative Crafts Last Minute Valentine Crafts Edition, so stop back by on Saturday to see all of the creative inspiration!
Valentine's Day Dollar Tree Buffalo Plaid Heart
This week I am co-hosting Team Creative Crafts Last Minute Valentine Crafts Edition with my crafty friends Laura from Laura Kelly Designs, and Lindsay from Artsy-Fartsy Mama. We are featuring ALL the fabulously heartfelt and cute craft projects from some of the most talented designers we know. Check out my tutorial, then scroll down to see all the creativity, AND stop back on Saturday to see what everyone has created!
This post, Dollar Tree Buffalo Plaid Heart for Your Valentine's Day Door, contains affiliate links. Using links to these sites means I will earn a percentage of the purchase at no extra cost to you.
Here's what you need to make a Valentine's Day Heart Sign:
- Wooden Heart Shape Sign – Dollar Tree
- Wooden LOVE Sign – Dollar Tree
- Natural Jute Twine – Dollar Tree
- Ribbon, Burlap – Dollar Tree
- Painter’s Tape, 1 ½” Wide – Dollar Tree
- Americana Acrylic by DecoArt – Baby Pink, Country Red, Titanium White
- E6000 Adhesive by Eclectic Products
- Ribbon – Scraps in Shades of Red
- Scissors – I love my Fiskars!
- Sanding Block
Here's how to create Painted Buffalo Plaid:
To begin the Dollar Tree Buffalo Plaid Heart, gather all supplies. Remove any rough edges off of the wooden pieces with a sanding block. Basecoat the wooden heart sign with Titanium White acrylic paint. Let dry and apply a second coat, if necessary.
Starting in the middle, apply painter’s tape vertically through the center of the heart sign. Use a small piece of painter’s tape as a spacer and continue applying vertical stripes of painter’s tape out to the right and left edges. Burnish the edges of the tape with a fingernail or bone folder. Apply a topcoat of Baby Pink acrylic paint, let dry. Apply a very light coat of Country Red acrylic paint using a dry brush, remove painter’s tape, and let the paint dry completely. Don’t worry if your brush strokes show because it adds to the buffalo plaid effect.
Starting in the middle, apply painter’s tape horizontally through the center of the heart sign. Use a small piece of painter’s tape as a spacer and continue applying horizontal stripes of painter’s tape out to the top and bottom edges. Burnish the edges of the tape with a fingernail or bone folder. Apply a topcoat of Baby Pink acrylic paint, let dry. Apply a very light coat of Country Red acrylic paint using a dry brush, remove painter’s tape, and let the paint dry completely.
With a small flat paintbrush, apply red craft paint in each square where the Country Red acrylic paint lines intersect, let dry. Apply a second coat, if necessary. Use the flat edge of the paintbrush to create the edges, and don’t worry about perfection for this step. Let paint dry completely.
Measure scraps of ribbon, burlap, lace, and trims that are 6” long. Stack in an “X” pattern on top of a 12” length of natural jute twine. Tie the jute twine tightly in the center of the ribbons, securing with a knot. Fluff ribbons, and then trim any ribbons that are too long with scissors.
Attach the wooden LOVE sign to the center of the buffalo plaid heart with E6000 Adhesive. Adhere the scrappy bow to the top right-hand side of the heart sign with E6000. Measure and cut a 12” length of natural jute twine and attach to the back of the heart sign as a hanger with E6000 Adhesive. Let the adhesive dry. Hang and enjoy!
Quick and Easy Dollar Tree Buaffalo Plaid Heart
Create this super cute Dollar Store Buffalo Plaid Heart Sign in just about 30 minutes (not including drying time) with limited supplies! A fun crafternoon project to make with your girlfriends on a snowy weekend. I know that the pink paint underneath the red paint is a bit strange, but that is the combination that works the best for this painted buffalo plaid technique.
Now it’s time for some INSPIRATION!
Below are more LOVE-ly projects created by some of my craftiest designer friends. We are participating in the Team Creative Last Minute Valentine's Day Crafts Edition. I hope you enjoyed my Dollar Tree Buffalo Plaid Heart Sign. Now scroll down to see all the goodness. Stop back by Saturday for all the super cool projects!
Awesome Last Minute Valentine Inspiration from Team Creative Crafts
I am totally blown away by the fabulous variety of projects that the team created this month. We told everyone “Last Minute Valentine's Day Anything Goes” and we have not been disappointed! And look at all the GORGEOUS projects!
Inspiring Valentine's Day Crafts
- Laura from Me and My INKlings is sharing a Free Printable for Valentine’s Day Snowman Soup along with the recipe
- Lindsay from Artsy Fartsy Mama has a fun and flirty set of Chocolate is My Valentine Cupcake Toppers to download for free
- Laura from Laura’s Crafty Life has created a Farmhouse Style Love Sign with supplies from Dollar Tree
- Smitha from Smiling Colors is sharing an Organic Heart Pattern Journal Page that she watercolored with Tombow
- Shani from Sunshine and Munchkins has created a Free Printable Valentine’s Day Joke Decoding Activity
- Justine from Little Dove has created Heart Shaped Bath Bombs with a surprise inside plus a Free Printable Tag for Gifting
- Erica from Five Little Monsters is sharing the sweetest Heart Shaped Crocheted Treat Bag including the complete pattern
- Kelsey from Poofy Cheeks has the full step-by-step tutorial for a DIY Snow Globe Tumbler and we are all obsessed
Creative Valentine's Day DIY's
- Beth with Creatively Beth (that's ME) is sharing the instructions for a Buffalo Plaid Love Heart Sign with supplies from Dollar Tree
- Liz from Liz on Call has created a Lace Heart of Hearts Free SVG Cut File for all you Valentine’s Day crafting needs
- Kimberly from Crafting Cheerfully is sharing a set of Valentine's Day Cards for Sewers and Crafters that are so clever
- Ginger from Ginger Snap Crafts has created a super cute I’m with Cupid Sign with Free SVG Cut File for Valentine’s Day
- Teresa from Simply Made Fun is sharing a tutorial for lovely Faux Leather Valentine Heart Earrings and the SVG Cut File
- Elise from Polka Dot Blue Jay has created adorable Love Bug Cupcake Toppers that are perfect for all your Valentine treats
- Heather from Homemade Heather is sharing Easy Origami Heart Printables complete with the step-by-step directions
- Laura from Me and My INKlings has created a Valentine’s Day DIY Cork Message Board with a pretty ribbon loop border
Now it's Time for a Giveaway!
You know that we would never let you go without a giveaway, so this month we have a FABULOUS Prize!! Three Art Bin Organizing Drawers, WOOHOO!! Enter through the Rafflecopter Code below…a Rafflecopter giveaway
Sharing is Caring! Pin this Dollar Tree Buffalo Plaid Heart for Later
Too busy to make this project right now? Pin it for later! I’d love for you to pin my Dollar Tree Buffalo Plaid Heart Sign to your favorite craft board on Pinterest and then it’ll be waiting for you when you’re ready.
Thanks for stopping by!